Monday, January 05, 2009

Genalgualcil


Genalguacil is another of those gorgeous Andalucian pueblos blancos and an artists dream. Within this small village is an amazing art community who show their work throughout the village and once or twice a year hold an exhibition with their studios open to the public. I've not been fortunate enough to have been there at that time but my mother tells me its a delight! When you walk through this archway you come to a wonderful open plaza in front of the church and, if my memory serves me well, the view from here goes all the way to Morocco across the straits of Gibraltar. (Sorry for lousy photo - will retake in daylight on Wednesday).

The more I paint white the more I want to explore it - the different shades you can achieve and still create some very subtle difference. Just looking at my palette after one of these paintings shows the wonder of white. There is such an incredible subtlety and depth in areas that are close in value but shimmer with colour. The trick is in keeping the colours clean and not muddying them - now that I would like to learn! Doing the pastels has really helped in being able to see those differences in areas that at first look like they are one plane of colour but on closer inspection dissolved into multiple hues.

New Year Resolution 5 - explore areas of interest.

4 comments:

Lisa Lorenz said...

Happy New Year to you dear Anita. Wishing you all the best and to your family for 2009.
Many thanks again for your support and wishes on my blog. Sorry I am late with my wishes, but it has been pretty hectic here the last 2 weeks.
I am still smoke free – tomorrow will be 30 days. Its very hard, but I keep going day by day.
Just love this piece of yours. I too want to explore! Have a great day. xoxoxo Lisa

Jeanette Jobson said...

I agree that white can be very exciting to paint. There are so many ways to interpret it. I always remember a class where we had to create a painting of something all white but not use white. It was quite fun.

This village sounds stunning and your painting gives a real sense of place and the bright light that really is present in that part of the world.

Anonymous said...

That is quite a name.
It looks like a very pretty village. Those shadows must have been very dramatic. It is great to see your journeys through your paintings.

Anita said...

Lisa - glad you are still not smoking. I'm proud of you! Experimenting is fun - you learn so much!

Jeanette - I did a project with just whites a few years ago - think I am going to have to do another one just to see how I have grown since then.

Robin - The name is from the arabic from when the Moors were in southern Spain. Its a lovely village, very picturesque and there are sculptures all over the place. I will have to post some photos of them.

all artwork is copyright of Anita Murphy 2006/2007/2008/2009