Sunday, September 23, 2007

Memorial Bridge, Arlington



Two pastel sketches of Memorial Bridge, Arlington - one from the Arlington side and one from DC. I tried to be strict and restrict the amount of time that I spent on these so that the light wouldn't change too much. I feel that working fast in pastel is something that is going to take time! Still it was an enjoyable experience doing these. Only one spectator stopped to chat and he stood about 15 feet away and asked before approaching me for a closer look. Interesting explaining to layman what I was looking for in terms of the colour of the light.

Back home now and determined that the year here will prove a little more fruitful artwise than the last year. Goals are set and I have some ideas of directions that interest me.
"The only limits are, as always, those of vision." James Broughton

"Start where you are." Edgar Cayce

9 comments:

Robyn Sinclair said...

You always tempt me to pick up my pastels, Anita, but I'm not falling for it! I can't hatch like you. The colour in your light is gorgeous and clever. I'm looking forward to more paintings from you this year.

Mary said...

Anita you really did some fantastic work on your trip and I see in your's things that Michael stressed on in the pastel workshop. Very nice!

vivien said...

Nice moody work :) and well done for getting so much done on a family holiday - it isn't easy I know!

Anonymous said...

More gorgeous drawings ... hope you enjoyed your holiday and are well!

Stacy said...

Anita, I agree with Robyn. You make it tempting to pick up some pastels and give it a try. But just because you make it look easy, I'm not fooled.

I hope your second year in the desert is a productive and happy one! :)

Jeanette Jobson said...

These are wonderful bridges Anita. You've obviously been busy with pastels.

I do like the subjects but find the over feeling on dark paper very sombre and slightly disturbing. It feels like its a nightview even if daylight.

Billie Crain said...

personally i like the deep blue paper for these pastels. the arches on the bridges are very well done as is your use of light and shadow. keep up the good work, Anita!

tlwest said...

GORGEOUS!

Lisa Lorenz said...

Hi Anita, Just dropping by to say hi. Love these new works of yours of the bridges. Just stunning! Have a great day!

all artwork is copyright of Anita Murphy 2006/2007/2008/2009